Join the largest statewide gathering of our movement at the Empire State Pride Agenda’s annual Equality & Justice Day and show the strength of the LGBT community in our state’s capital.
Igniting Equality for LGBT New Yorkers for 25 Years!
New York State Capitol
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Headline Rally Speaker Announced!
We’re thrilled to announce that trans activist and rising star Daniella Carter will deliver the headline remarks at this year's Equality & Justice Day afternoon rally at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, April 28!
Following in the footsteps of Janet Mock, Laverne Cox and Lourdes Hunter, who all spoke at previous Equality & Justice Day rallies, Daniella is a long-time friend of the Pride Agenda. She was featured in the MTV & Logo TV documentary "Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word;" guested on MSNBC's "Out There on Shift;" initiated a project to bring visibility to trans youth issues; collaborated with Miss Universe and others to share their experiences in overcoming homelessness; and was recently listed as a 2015 Trans100 honoree, among other impressive accomplishments.
Daniella's message transcends boundaries of race and gender, focusing on the intersectionalities of identities that makes our community so beautifully diverse. Cyndi Lauper's True Colors Foundation recently referred to Daniella as, 'the future of our movement and the right now of our movement."
Additional Rally Speakers:
- Angelica Clarke: the Executive Director at the Albany Social Justice Center, working to build movements that center the experiences of Black and Brown women, trans, genderqueer and gender non-conforming individuals;
- Q and Francisca Montaña: a mom and her 9 year old trans son who live in Brooklyn, and who are both fierce advocates for our community;
- Jane Shurka: mother of conversion therapy survivor Mathew from Long Island, who is now a strong supporter of her proud, gay son and advocate to end conversion therapy in New York and across the country;
- Reverend Dee Lowman: a progressive United Methodist clergyperson who has turned her efforts towards supporting and influencing the rights and respect of trans people and
- Aileen Roman: a 34-year-old mom who navigated New York State’s arcane laws around parenting and surrogacy and will share her story about how she overcome challenges to build her family
2015 Equality & Justice Day Schedule
|9 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.||Participants arrive from across the state|
|9 a.m. - 11 a.m.||Check-in and legislative meeting preparation|
|10:15 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.||Welcome program*|
|11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||Morning workshops and caucuses|
|11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||Lobby visits with Senators and Assembly* Members – Legislative Office Building|
|12:15 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.||Lunch boxes available|
|1 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.||
Rally in West Capitol Park
|2:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||Lobby visits with Senators and Assembly Members – Legislative Office Building*|
|2:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||Afternoon workshops and caucuses|
|3:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.||Closing remarks – Main Stage|
|4:15 p.m.||Participants depart|
* In order to accommodate legislators scheduling for the day, some legislative meetings begin at 10:30 a.m. Please check the Legislative Meeting Schedule handout for exact times and locations.
Come together with members of the LGBT community and our allies all across New York in the Pride Agenda’s 25th year to advocate for:
• Transgender civil rights and the passage of GENDA
• Protecting youth from harmful conversion efforts
• Securing resources for homeless youth and health services for all
• Making second parent adoption law more accessible and legalizing surrogacy
Our day-long conference, breakfast and lunch programs, an afternoon rally and visits with Legislators. E&J Day shines a light on power in numbers for LGBT equality all across New York State and instills community pride, creates bonds and friendships and ensures lasting change for LGBT people throughout New York.
Help Spread the Word!
Use the hash tag #ejday, follow us on Facebook and Twitter @prideagenda for the latest updates, and download our flyer.
To complement the great slate of rally speakers, we hope you will take advantage of the broad spectrum of workshops that cover some of the cutting-edge work in our movement:
· A Stronger YOU! Self-Advocacy for Health;
· Building Bridges, Crossing Together: Intersections Across the Color Spectrum;
· Ally Skills for Everyone;
· Queers in the Coop: Combatting the Decline of Safe Spaces and Improving LGBTQ Job
· Security with Worker Cooperatives;
· Building Your Fundraising Team for LGBT Advocacy;
· Creating Supportive Schools for our Transgender Students: A Review of Best Practices;
· Trans Lives Matter;
· Affirming Therapy for Trans* Youth and their Families
· “ Youth Speakers Bureau”: Creating Change through the Arts
FRAGRANCE-FREE EVENT. For the health and safety of facilitators and participants, it is important that everyone come fragrance-free to this event. For information on how and why to be fragrance-free, see http://thinkagaintraining.com/fragrance-free/#forparticipants. If you have questions, or if you are not sure you can be fragrance-free, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.