GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS INTERNSHIPS
Location: New York City
About the Organization: The Empire State Pride Agenda is New York’s statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights and advocacy organization. Our mission is to win equality and justice for LGBT New Yorkers and our families. Through our education, organizing and advocacy programs, we work with a broadly diverse alliance of LGBT people, government leaders, communities of faith, labor organizations, all sectors of the workforce, and other social justice movements, to achieve equality for LGBT New Yorkers and the broader goals of social, racial and economic justice.
Position Summary: The Government Affairs Interns will be undergraduate or graduate school students whose coursework and/or professional interests focus on public policy, legislation and government affairs and their relevance to LGBT social justice. The interns will assist the Director of Government Affairs and other senior staff with lobbying elected officials; corresponding with strategic partners; researching relevant topics; preparing and refining talking points; and providing general relevant support for the organization’s legislative and political initiatives in both New York City and Albany. Positions are available for the 2015 fall semester (September-December) and the 2016 spring semester (January-May), with some flexibility on the length of the internship. Hours are flexible to accommodate the intern’s school schedule.
• A strong interest in public policy, legislation and government.
• Excellent writing and research skills.
• Knowledge of and commitment to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights issues.
• Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Proficiency in word processing, email and internet research.
• Academic or work experience in politics, government, public policy, social sciences, communications, or similar.
• Ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ages, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
• Familiarity with social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Flickr.
Compensation: This is a part-time, unpaid internship. School credit available.
Applications: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Government Affairs Internship” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Pride Agenda is an Equal Opportunity employer. Women, people of color and transgender people are encouraged to apply.