Pride Coordinator (Temporary Full time Consultancy)
Location: New York City
Summary: The Empire State Pride Agenda is New York’s statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights and advocacy organization. Our mission is to win equality and justice for LGBT New Yorkers and our families. Through our education, organizing and advocacy programs, we work toward creating a broadly diverse alliance of LGBT people and our allies in government, communities of faith, labor, all sectors of the workforce and other social justice movements to achieve equality for LGBT New Yorkers and the broader goals of social, racial and economic justice.
Job Description: The Pride Coordinator will report to and work closely with the Director of Programs, providing a variety of support functions that contribute to the Pride Agenda’s programmatic success during the 2015 Pride season. Responsibilities include coordination of statewide efforts to educate community members about Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) at Pride events across New York State. This includes working closely with the Community Education and Outreach staff to coordinate Pride registrations, volunteer recruitment and our on-sight presence at Pride events across the state. The Pride Coordinator will also collaborate with the Communications Director for the design and production of PrEP/PEP educational/marketing materials. And, will also contribute in the development of content for the Pride events calendar and PrEP/PEP webpage.
The Pride Coordinator will also manage logistics and advance project timelines related to the dissemination of PrEP/PEP materials at Pride events. This will include coordination of planning meetings, webinars, and communication with subcontractors, Pride organizers and partners across the state. The Pride Coordinator will also provide support in the development of a brief electronic Toolkit for Pride event organizers to help expand the impact of PrEP/PEP education and marketing. The Pride Coordinator will also table at Pride events to disseminate PrEP/PEP materials, as well as promote the Statewide LGBT Health & Human Services Needs Assessment (survey).
• Communicate with all team members, subcontractors and Pride event planners, etc. to maximize outreach efforts to event organizers and community members
• Coordinate all logistics for PrEP/PEP educational/marketing plans and efforts at Pride events, including scheduling meetings, Toolkit design, webinar planning, Pride vendor table purchase, planning travel, and ordering/shipping materials
• Contribute to report to funders, as needed
• Oversee production of educational/marketing material purchasing, insuring that necessary documentation is provided for all purchasing of goods and services, and collecting bids for all major purchases
• Promote Statewide LGBT Health & Human Services Needs Assessment (survey) at Pride events
• Represent the organization at Pride events throughout the Pride season, many of which take place outside of regular business hours and may require travel within New York State.
• Contribute to electronic and in-person communications’ efforts in preparation for and at Pride events
• Assist in the management of Volunteers at Pride events
• Bachelor’s degree preferred and one years’ experience required, preferably in nonprofit setting
• Superior verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills, self-starter, well-organized, and ability to manage multiple projects to completion on deadlines
• Superior attention to detail with strong follow-through
• Excellent time management
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
• Preferred experience in non-profit project coordination, communications, and organizing with diverse LGBT communities
• Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, including PrEP and PEP.
• Demonstrated commitment to advancing the Pride Agenda’s mission
• Ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ages, ethnicities and sexual and gender identities
• A demonstrated commitment and competency with issues impacting transgender and gender non-conforming New Yorkers
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
Salary is commensurate with experience and nonprofit sector.
How to Apply:
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com or mail to Empire State Pride Agenda, 80 Maiden Lane, Suite 905, New York, NY 10038. No phone calls please.
The Pride Agenda is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS INTERNSHIPS
Location: New York City
About the Organization: The Empire State Pride Agenda is New York’s statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights and advocacy organization. Our mission is to win equality and justice for LGBT New Yorkers and our families. Through our education, organizing and advocacy programs, we work with a broadly diverse alliance of LGBT people, government leaders, communities of faith, labor organizations, all sectors of the workforce, and other social justice movements, to achieve equality for LGBT New Yorkers and the broader goals of social, racial and economic justice.
Position Summary: The Government Affairs Interns will be undergraduate or graduate school students whose coursework and/or professional interests focus on public policy, legislation and government affairs and their relevance to LGBT social justice. The interns will assist the Manager of Government Affairs and other senior staff with lobbying elected officials; corresponding with strategic partners; researching relevant topics; preparing and refining talking points; and providing general relevant support for the organization’s legislative and political initiatives in both New York City and Albany. Positions are available for the 2015 spring semester (January-May), with some flexibility on the length of the internship. Hours are flexible to accommodate the intern’s school schedule.
• A strong interest in public policy, legislation and government.
• Excellent writing and research skills.
• Knowledge of and commitment to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights issues.
• Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Proficiency in word processing, email and internet research.
• Academic or work experience in politics, government, public policy, social sciences, communications, or similar.
• Ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ages, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
• Familiarity with social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Flickr.
Compensation: This is a part-time, unpaid internship. School credit available.
Applications: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Government Affairs Internship” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Pride Agenda is an Equal Opportunity employer. Women, people of color and transgender people are encouraged to apply.