Pride in Our Union encourages unions in all sectors of the labor movement in New York State to be free of discrimination and to bargain and advocate on behalf of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) members and their families. In solidarity, we work to build a movement that calls for respect for diversity and advances the goal of social and economic justice for all.
Why We Do This Work
The political power of both the LGBT community and the labor movement is generated by campaigns waged at the grassroots level with the achievement of equality and justice being central to both agendas. To strengthen our ability to win, we need to work together and organize ourselves to support each other’s campaigns.
Who We Are
Pride in Our Union is made up of LGBT and straight union activists and allies. Many of them participate on one of several volunteer committees that serve as networking resources and collaborators for Pride in Our Union initiatives.
What Pride in Our Union Does
- Supports efforts by unions in New York State and LGBT members to fight workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation, and gender identity and gender expression.
- Educates union leaders, staff and members statewide on New York State’s Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act (SONDA) and local non-discrimination laws regarding gender identity and expression.
- Promotes workplace best practices supporting LGBT union members and encourages unions to adopt them via contract language, union policies and union advocacy
- Engages the labor movement to organize in support of equality and justice for LGBT New Yorkers and their families.
- Engages the LGBT community to support union campaigns for social and economic justice.