What is the Network?
The New York State Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health and Human Services Network (“the Network”) is a coalition of over fifty LGBT-specific and LGBT-supportive nonprofit groups and organizations that provide health and social services to LGBT New Yorkers and their families. By focusing on non-HIV related health needs, Network members have worked diligently with New York State government to recognize the continuum of health care needs in the LGBT communities. Founded in 1994, the Network is supported and administered by the Empire State Pride Agenda Foundation and operates on a democratic, consensual basis through a Steering Committee and the participation of Network members in a variety of work groups.
What specific types of services do Network members provide?
Network member organizations serve upstate, downstate, rural and urban populations as well as LGBT individuals who are also part of communities that have historically experienced barriers and marginalization, such as youth, seniors, people of color and low income and transgender individuals. Services provided by members include:
- Health and wellness programs including primary and preventative health care;
- Social support and education;
- Mental health treatment and family counseling;
- Domestic violence and sexual assault services;
- Homeless youth services; and
- Alcohol and substance abuse prevention.
What is the value of Network membership?
Joining the Network enhances a member’s ability to advocate for its health and human services needs on a statewide level. The Network, through the collective strength of its members:
- Advocates to maintain and increase public funding for LGBT services;
- Helps strengthen the infrastructure of member organizations;
- Provides a framework for member to share and exchange information and, when possible, coordinate advocacy activities;
- Provides members with the technical assistance necessary to help them develop the ability to seek and sustain public funding;
- Educates public policy makers on the health and human services policy concerns of LGBT communities;
- Builds member relationships with government agencies; and,
- Holds New York State government accountable to the state’s LGBT communities.
How can I join?
If you are a program, organization, agency or grassroots group whose primary focus is LGBT specific and you want to take an active role in the advocacy and organizing efforts of the Network, you are eligible to apply at the Full Membership level.
If you are interested in joining and your organization does not fit these criteria, please contact our Albany office at (518) 472-3330 about other possible membership opportunities.